Third ASEAN-EUIPO Heads of IP Offices Joint Summary of the Meeting
The Third Meeting of the ASEAN-EU Heads of Intellectual Property (IP) Offices was organized within the framework of the EU-ASEAN Project on the Protection of Intellectual Property Rights (ECAP III Phase II) in Bali, Indonesia, on 21 July 2016. The Heads of the ASEAN Intellectual Property (IP) Offices and the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO):
- Acknowledged that trademarks, industrial designs and where applicable, geographical indications, are vital in the economic development of the ASEAN region and the European Union;
- Reaffirmed their intention to continue collaborating in the areas of trademarks, industrial designs and where applicable, geographical indications, to assure that the ASEAN IP Offices continue efforts at providing high quality, efficient, and cost-effective services to the business community, including ASEAN and EU SMEs doing business in the region;
- Acknowledged the adoption of the ASEAN Economic Community Blueprint 2025, adopted as part of the Kuala Lumpur Declaration on ASEAN 2025: Forging Ahead Together, and which incorporates the strategic measures on IP;
- Exchanged views on the new EUIPO Strategic Plan 2020 and the ASEAN IPR Action Plan 2016-2025, the priorities of both the EUIPO and the ASEAN Member States under their respective strategic and action plans;
- Discussed the progress of the implementation of the 2016 Annual Work Plan of ECAP III and reaffirmed their commitment to ensuring the successful completion of all the activities under the plan, including the Assessment of the Trademark and Industrial Design Systems in ASEAN;
- Acknowledged the commitment of the ASEAN IP Offices in ensuring the management and maintenance of the ASEAN IT Tools developed under the ECAP III Project and further integration in international databases;
- Identified areas of common interest and initiatives that will be integrated in the new ASEAN-EU Cooperation Programme on IP (ARISE Plus), including strengthening of IP Offices and building regional infrastructures to support the further development of the trademarks, industrial designs and where applicable, geographical indications systems in ASEAN, improving service delivery of ASEAN IP Offices through information technology tools that support trademarks and industrial designs operations and front office services, accession to international agreements, promoting the development and commercialization of geographical indications by improving the capacity of the productive sector in ASEAN, and ensuring access by SMEs to IP services and IP information in the region;
- Recognized that the new ASEAN-EU Cooperation Programme on IP (ARISE Plus) was developed in collaboration with the ASEAN Working Group on Intellectual Property Cooperation (AWGIPC) and the ASEAN Secretariat and that it is fully aligned with the elements of the new ASEAN IPR Action Plan 2016-2025;
- Recognized that the gains achieved under the ECAP III Project resulted from the commitment of the ASEAN IP Offices in fostering the enhancement of the IP system in the region and the good collaboration among the ASEAN IP Offices and the EUIPO;
- Reaffirmed their commitment to deepen their collaboration towards improving Intellectual Property rights protection, specifically trademarks, industrial designs, and where applicable, geographical indications, and further the development of mechanisms to ensure a balanced and highly effective IP system in the ASEAN region that benefit stakeholders, including SMEs;
- Resolved to further intensify their joint efforts to achieve a balanced and effective Intellectual Property regime in the ASEAN region for both ASEAN and EU nationals in the context of the new ASEAN-EU Cooperation Programme on IP (ARISE Plus) that is in full alignment with the ASEAN IP Rights Action Plan 2016-2025 and with the collaboration of the ASEAN Member States, the support of the European Union, and to be implemented by the EUIPO.
- In that context, agreed to hold the Fourth ASEAN-EUIPO Heads of IP Offices Meeting back-to-back with the AWGIPC Meeting to be held in 2017.
The Heads of the ASEAN IP Offices and the EUIPO adopted this Joint Summary of the Meeting in Bali, Indonesia on 21st July 2016.